Welcome

Worship

Learn

Fellowship

Serve

Nurture

Give

Member Log-in

Welcome
 
 
 
 
 
 
Worship
Learn
Fellowship
Serve
Nurture
Give
Member Log-in
Contact Information

Minister – Rev. Richard W. Carr, III

First Presbyterian Church
234 East Main St.
Rock Hill, SC 29730

Phone: (803) 328-2467
Email: firstpresrh@gmail.com

Mailing Address:
PO Box 1011
Rock Hill, SC 29731

Newsletters Upcoming Events Sermons & Bulletins
NEW WHo We Are Banner
Who We Are
Our Mission

As a diverse family of believers in Jesus Christ, our mission is to glorify God by celebrating and sharing God’s renewing and transforming love, as we:

  • Worship the living God with joy and thanksgiving.
  • Teach the Word of God to deepen our faith and to grow in our love for Jesus Christ.
  • Serve others through sharing the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
  • Fellowship to enrich and energize our life together as a congregation.
  • Nurture and Embrace all God’s children.
Our History

rev-Old Church PhotoFirst Presbyterian Church of Rock Hill has been blessed with a rich heritage of faith, determination, and growth.  The church began in 1854 as an outpost of Ebenezer Presbyterian Church, our mother church, which was founded 2 years after the end of the American Revolution.  The outpost church was called Antioch Chapel and was located near the railroad station that became known as Rock Hill.  As the town grew around the railroad, the chapel was put on log rollers and moved to our current site in 1858 in the heart of Old Town.

The congregation was officially chartered as First Presbyterian in 1869.  Our current sanctuary was built in 1894-1895.  The first pipe organ in Rock Hill was installed in our sanctuary in 1905.  It was replaced by the current pipe organ in 1961.  An educational building, Lingle Hall, was constructed in 1923, then razed and rebuilt in 1999 to become The Joe Hopkins Ministry Center that exists today.  The Ministry Center includes a competitive sized basketball court and commercial grade kitchen.

First Presbyterian has a history of mission support at home and abroad.  In 1891 the congregation accepted responsibility for a foreign missionary in Korea.  Her simple dispensary for treatment of women and children, which opened 1898, was the beginning of The Presbyterian Medical Center (See Link Below).  In 1913, the church also recognized the growing needs of the Rock Hill community and the importance of Winthrop College by organizing a new congregation which is Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church. First Presbyterian provided its original 192 members.  Today Oakland Avenue has over 800 members.

To learn more about the history of our church and our denomination, click on the links below.

History of PCUSA

Presbyterian Medical Center – S. Korea